Friday, July 23, 2010

On writing and my fascination for Metropolis

As I admitted in a previous blog post, I started this blog because blogging was cool at that time. Lots of people I knew were doing it so I jumped on to the bandwagon. However as time passed by I figured that writing can help me vent better. Of courses grievances against the family and friends will never make it to the blog, they are too personal, but against everything else (read the system) definitely will. But the busy and important banker that I think I am, the time to do this was also not found and blog posts were just one or two line life updates or movie recommendations. As time passed I also figured that I like telling stories, (someday I will blog about that day when a spellbound audience sat and listened as I explained the origins of the Mumbai Underworld and regaled them with stories about Vardarajan Mudaliar, Haji Mastan, Karim Lala and Dawood Ibrahin) and wanted to make lots of them (actually many are floating in my head but I need either a good beginning or an ending to complete them).

A simple aim which I set for myself was that I need to have at least 20 good stories ready by the time my kid is of an age when he or she can listen and enjoy them. Maybe this was my subcoscious way of giving myself lots of time so that all the lethargy and bouts of blank mindedness be taken care of. But now I have a realistic aim in front of me, so the stories shall be written. Not all shall be posted on the blog, but some definitely will make it here, so please keep checking from time to time (this is specially for the two and a half readers who read my blog regularly).

My first attempt at writing short stories was when I tried to create Metropolis. Being a huge science fiction and fantasy fan, I wanted to write something in that genre. However I soon realised that most books in this genre sound similar and most draw inspiration from Tolkein and C S Lewis (many don't but most of the ones I have read do). The worst part is that they all claim to be original, no doubt the stories were interesting but that was mainly because in my mind is programmed to love magic, heroes and adventures, just add some characters and you have a good story. But I wanted to write something original and different which was next to impossible given the reading influences I grew up with. So the idea for Metropolis was born.

The world which I am trying to create is where all the characters I love live together and fight together. Instead of lying and claiming that I have created a new race or a new land, I have shamelessly used all the concepts and ideas which I liked ad have created a crossover universe. Of course credit has been given wherever its due (Tolkien is a god in my universe and so is George Lucas). Since this is not a book or something which I intend to publish I dont see any legal issues here. Its just some fun and entertainment using speculative fiction. Which Sci-Fi / Fantasy fan would not like to see a Jedi Knight face off with a wizard or for that matter see Godzilla fighting fire breathing dragons. Well Metropolis has many such instances along with a original story.

So if any of you people out there like Fantasy mixed with Science, Marital arts and some mythology thrown in, please come back and read Tales from the Metropolis.

1 comment:

Yogesh said...

Post them storĂ­es. We are reading :)